WaterFurnace's Purpose: To transform the way we use energy, protect resources for future generations, and give people the freedom to focus on life.
Join us, and grow…
… in an entrepreneurial culture producing a clean energy product. Combine your contributions with those of an experienced team of professionals.
Nature fuels our product; passion fuels our success.
Headquartered in Fort Wayne, Indiana, WaterFurnace has been raising the standard on innovation and efficiency since its inception in 1983. WaterFurnace units have been installed across all 50 states and in countries around the world. Although we earned a reputation as a leader in geothermal heat pumps, we've worked in recent years to innovate new technologies, integrate key trends and grow our core business to represent a portfolio of clean and sustainable solutions.
Our success in the residential market is being coupled with significant strides forward in the commercial and international realms with a robust line of products, top-notch training, and growing global recognition.
View all positions
Geothermal Field Technical Consultant
This primary objective of this role is to grow geothermal heat pump (GHP) sales by providing HVAC contractors with expert guidance and turn-key loop installations.
To achieve this goal, the Field Technical Consultant (FTC) will perform the following functions:
- HVAC contractor consultant: Working with Territory Managers (TM) to train and guide qualified contractors in the process of quoting and designing GHP sales. Provide continual technical guidance from sale through commissioning and building self-reliant proficiency within the contractors' teams.
- GHX Training Leader: Identify drillers, trenchers, excavators, and directional boring contractors for geothermal loop installations. Train and guide those contractors in loop design, pipe fusing, grouting and all aspects of successful ground heat exchangers (GHX). Negotiate fair market pricing and engage these GHX sub-contractors with targeted HVAC contractors.
- Local Market Development: Collect and leverage expertise in targeted areas related to geology, hydrogeology, excavation, permitting, and best practices.
- Innovation: Investigate opportunities for new applications in-market including district looping, all-GHP neighborhoods, lake loops, utility water, and gray water heat exchangers, and other potential solutions to drive increased GHP sales. Define and promote "Most Economic Heat Exchange" solution in each targeted area.
The Field Technical Consultant will use the following tools to succeed:
- Expert user and instructor with GeoLink loop design software.
- Contract management using a standard WaterFurnace template will be a core competency.
- Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel, Teams as well as standard corporate software tools for web conferencing.
- Salesforce CRM software tools including account and campaign management.
- WaterFurnace technical literature on-line.
Certifications and Qualifications
The Field Technical Consultant job requirements include the following:
- IGSHPA Certified Loop Designer
- IGSHPA Fusion Certified
- IGSHPA Certified Installer
- HVAC Licensed in the assigned territory (Preferred, not required.)
- Previous or Current Drilling License in the assigned territory (Preferred, not required.)
- 5 years field experience in HVAC service and installation, and/or GHX installation.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field and/or an Associates Degree from a technical school in a related field. (Preferred, not required if experience is demonstrated)
- Three years field sales experience. (Preferred, not required.)
The Field Technical Consultant will perform the following routine duties:
- Travel up to 60% for on-site assessment of contractors and opportunities as well as training and relationship management.
- Conduct both on-site and on-line training sessions on loop design, pipe fusion, and best practices for loop installation.
- Relationship management with loop installing companies including business planning; asset and labor management; cost, price, and margin planning; and marketing.
- Reading, writing, and reporting in a prompt fashion through email and standard reporting practices. These include, but are not limited to, performance reviews, expenses, trip summaries, business recommendations, and sales updates.
- Effective conflict resolution with contractors and suppliers.
- Developing and documenting standard work practices for this new role as circumstances dictate.
- Close coordination with the WaterFurnace field sales and technical support teams.
- Attending meetings, sessions and other company events
Please attach a résumé and completed Applicant Voluntary Self-Identification Form.
Apply to this position
- Demonstrated self-starting capability in the field with minimal direct supervision required
- Interpersonal skills for successful relationship management and business advantage
- Analytical and quantitative skills
- Clear and effective communication skills including technical reading and writing
- Organization and flexibility to respond to changing circumstances
- Technical knowledge in the fields of GHPs, GHXs, and HVAC
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology and methods
- Cooperation with business associates and willingness to work through conflict
WaterFurnace's 115,000-square-foot headquarters serves as a model for commercial geothermal installations worldwide. Our innovative approach, state-of-the-art business systems and outstanding work environment combine with our excellent benefits to make WaterFurnace your Employer of Choice: Tuition Reimbursement; Group Health Insurance, including Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, and Flexible Spending Account; Company-Paid Group Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment; Optional Life Insurance; Short- and Long-Term Disability; Vacation; paid Sick/Personal days; Holidays; and 401(k) Retirement Savings with Company Match.
WaterFurnace International, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.