Direct Digital Controllers
The Building Automation System (BAS) consists of an interconnected network of Direct Digital Controls (DDC). Each controller monitors and regulates a local system or device according to its own program or programs communicated over the BAS directed from centralized commands.
Every geothermal heat pump has a controller, allowing sophisticated control over heating and cooling algorithms and schemes. A simple example is unit scheduling, which automatically sets back heating and cooling set-points during unoccupied times as identified by the BAS, such as at nighttime, on weekends, or over holidays. Each geothermal unit monitors conditions such as space temperatures, fault conditions and occupant override commands. Each controller analyzes these inputs then controls the unit through the proper heating and cooling sequences to ensure a comfortable environment at maximum efficiency. Customized controllers are also capable of monitoring and responding to indoor air quality inputs such as humidity or CO2 levels.
A WaterFurnace DDC offers significant value by providing controls not typically found in other DDC. Individual and specific unit faults are communicated over the BAS to assist the system operator to quickly and accurately identify what operational issues need to be addressed or repaired. The controller is also capable of monitoring and changing the air delivery to the conditioned zone based upon occupancy and unit operation completely through the BAS when equipped with an optional ECM variable blower motor. In most cases, the additional energy savings from the blower can pay for the added costs within less than 24 months.
Because electricity costs are significantly impacted by the maximum electric demand, the BAS can be used to monitor information at the electric meter. When high-demand periods arise, the BAS can be programmed to turn off or shed heat pump unit operation based upon low-priority loads. Load shedding operational control minimizes utility consumption during peak periods, which reduce operating costs and may qualify for additional utility incentive programs.
For more information on DDC and our Aurora-based heat pumps download the Universal Protocol Converter (UPC) Brochure.
WaterFurnace's Building Automation System
Above are two screen shots of WaterFurnace corporate office BAS. The image to the left shows the building power consumption while to the right shows the lobby heat pump status screen. Click on each image to view a larger version.
Direct Digital Controller Documents
- BACnet Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement
BACnet Points PDF's
- BACnet Points for Dual Compressor Water-to-Air (PRODCWA-04)
- BACnet Points For Dual Compressor Envision with Reheat (PRODCWA-RH-03)
- BACnet Points For Versatec Dual Compressor Water-to-Water (PRODCWW-02)
- BACnet Points For “A” Vintage Reversible Chiller (BACnet Points For “A” Vintage Reversible Chiller EW360, EW540, NXW360, NXW540 (PRODCWWE-05)
- BACnet Points For Reversible Chillers NXW096, NXW360, NXW540 (PRODCWWE-06)
- BACnet Points For Reversible Chillers NDW360 & NDW540 (PRODCWWE-06B)
- BACnet Points For Single Compressor Envision With Hot Gas Reheat (PROFXEVN-RH-00)
- BACnet Points for Versatec Water-to-Water (PROSSWW-03)
- BACnet Points List for Single Compressor Water-to-Water (PROSSWWE-01)
- BACnet Points for Envision with Binary Input
- BACnet points for Envision Dual Compressor Water-to-Air Without Hot Gas Reheat (PRODCWA-05)
- BACnet Points For Envision Console (PROSSWAC-02)
- Humidity Sensor Hot Gas Reheat Wiring
- Relative Humidity Room Series Cut Sheet
- Relative Humidity Room Series Installation
TAXX A Series Sensors
- TAXX A Series Sensor Setup - Menus
- TAXX A Series Sensor Setup - Operations
- TAXX A Series Sensor Product Data Sheet
- TAXX A Series Sensor Wiring
TAXX J Series Sensors
- TAXX J Series Wiring Diagram
- TAXX J Series Cut Sheet
- TAXX J Series Installation Instructions
DDC with Aurora UPC
- Aurora UPC Application and Troubleshooting Guide
- Aurora UPC Submittal Data
- Aurora UPC Points List
- Aurora UPC ZS Zone Sensors User Guide
- Aurora UPC ZS Zone Sensors Installation Guide
- Aurora UPC Zone Sensor Submittal Data
- Aurora Touch UPC Kit Instruction Guide
DDC with FX10
- FX10 Application Guide - Envision Series
- FX10 Application Guide - Reversible Chiller